Vegetable Breeding Intensive Short Course
at Baia Nicchia Farm, Sunol CA
register by email at email@example.com $50, worktrade & student discounts are available, pay with check or paypal (use donation button on the right). Fill out this brief registration form. https://docs.google.com/a/ecologycenter.org/forms/d/147G2YRDrCOkn0cmaTsp...
Fred Hempel is an organic farmer and plant breeder at Baia Nicchia farm. He breeds tomatoes squash, peppers, & mustard. He sells his own & Ethiopian vegetable varieties through Artisan Seeds. He has released multiple tomato varieties that are sold through partnerships with wholesale producers and seed companies. The course will cover:
- Planning and Tools for Data Assessment: gather materials; preliminary experiments; prioritize important traits for plant selection
- Seed Saving and Introduction to Reproductive Biology (inbreeding, outcrossing, vegetative propagation, ect.)
- Principles of Selection: what to look out for in order to get the results you want, recognizing mutations, natural crossing between garden neighbors, and line variation b) Selection for, or against, recognized traits
- Introduction to Cross-pollination, and How to create your own Hybrid
- An analysis of Hybrids
- Post-hybrid selection for new open-pollinated varieties. Selection and data organization
- Politics of Seed: Intellectual property, distribution issues and return-on-investment: Implications for the use of varieties in breeding, and for paying for your breeding activities.